where i've been

12.01.2011

God Winks

I've been walking to work lately.  It's about a 2 mile walk, but on a nice (translation: not rainy) day, it is a really peaceful walk.  I get to look out over the skyline as I cross the bridge into the city, and walk through the International District, where I always pass the shops setting up for the day.  I almost always time it so that I am walking right through the market as it is being set up and I can watch as I go.   Men shout instructions at each other, breaking open cardboard boxes with sharp razors, easily tossing large bags of rice or packaged fish.  Women with scarves wrapped around their heads blink at me through the cold wind as I walk, a tall anachronism in this section of the city.

I pass onto First Hill, the medical section of the city, and suddenly I am transported into a world of doctors, nurses, patients - where most everyone is on some kind of deadline as they step quickly across crosswalks.  I imagine my favorite doctors of Grey's Anatomy living inside of these buildings, and wonder which one is a brain surgeon.  My steps are slow and steady, watching the world as I go.

In the last few minutes of my walk, I turn down a residential street, the large historical houses looming over me.  I love this time of year, when the trees are slowly losing their leaves and preparing for the long, slow, cold winter.  Just a few days ago, as I was walking down the street, I looked up to see the yellow leaves floating down to meet me from a sudden gust of wind.  Just as it happened, the song that I was listening to hit the chorus, and the melody reached down to my bones.  If you don't think this world is beautiful, you're asleep! Wake up!

Listen to this song, and figure out what was beautiful in your life today.


always,
k

1 comment:

  1. Love this post... and I know what you mean about walking thru falling leaves and feeling the cool crisp air on your face. Talk about exhilarating and yes, it will WAKE you up! Love you. Auntie Nettie

    ReplyDelete