where i've been

2.24.2012

Birthdays, Bowling and Buses to the Capitol!

Hello all! To counteract the serious tone, here are some pictures of fun things!

Last Friday, we continued our birthday surprise, and took Matt out for surprise bowling and pizza.  The Garage - the local bowling alley - is an old-fashioned bowling lane, complete with a swanky bar, pool tables and shuffle board.  Let's just say we had a blast!

Karin perfects the granny shot at our surprise bowling trip for Matt's birthday.
Caitlin throws a gutterball, but gracefully!
On Wednesday, I took part in the Homelessness Advocacy through Catholic Housing Services in Olympia.  I hopped on the bus by my house at 6:30 so that I could get onto the bus to Olympia by 7.  We were advocating for a continuation of services used primarily by the homeless in Washington State.  I've never been to a capitol to talk to state representatives before, so it was a really cool experience.  Pretty much within the first ten minutes of me being there, I was sent to talk with a representative from King County.  It was scary! I just wanted to make sure I would say the right thing, you know? 

Beautiful day in the Capitol.
I ended up meeting with the representative's aide, and three other people, which was really nice.  The three other people knew a lot more about policy and technical things than I did, which was great.  I got to tell the daily stories and put the faces behind the fancy words.  Sure, I don't know what all of the laws and policies and everything are, but I do know that putting money and effort into these systems matter. And I got to share some of my clients' stories, which is pretty powerful.  I even got to tell the story of one resident who passed away recently, so it is pretty amazing that he will get to live on in these lawmakers' policies.  I hope it made a difference.

Finally, yesterday I held the annual Black History Month Potluck Celebration at the Wintonia, and whew! It was epic. So much delicious soul food cooked by the residents. 
  
My coworker and I went shopping for all of the goods - so much food!

All good things over here on the Seattle front! Keep smilin!

K

No comments:

Post a Comment