where i've been

5.15.2009

Preparations

So it is set. I'm going to Alicante! It is a little hard to believe -- I don't think it has fully set in yet. I've got four months to go.

Today, I finalized what classes I'm going to be taking at the Universidad de Alicante. I'm going to be taking two intensive Spanish language classes plus a Spanish Cinema class, which will count for my Women's and Gender Studies req and Twentieth Century Literature: Theatre and Spanish Drama, which will count for one of my theatre electives. I'm pretty pumped. I turned in my housing application today, too. I guess you don't actually find out who you are going to be living with or what your situation is until you GET there, which is SUPER intense. So, that's nerve-wracking. I guess I will just have to bring a variety of weird California-y things for whoever I might live with! I remember Sanda brought me really cool earrings and a bag, so I guess it is custom for Europeans to bring small presents for their guests.

We also had our "orientation" session through the Abroad office last weekend. There are only three other people from Santa Clara going to Spain through my program! I think that will be really cool though... I am sortof excited to get away from this city and the people just to experience something completely new. Except for the guy who was leading the session on our program (who had gone a few years before) seemed to get nothing out of his abroad experience except some hazy memories of crowded bars and the fact that, evidently, beer is cheaper than water, so.. you know. That was extremely helpful.

Nah, he was cool. I was just sortof hoping for a little bit more in-depth help besides "Man, you've GOT to try the sangria there. It will KILL you." and "My best advice? Don't bother coming home sometimes. Just stay up all night and go to class in the morning. You're going to see a lot of sunrises." Ha! My mom and I were laughing a lot at him. I guess I will keep you all posted on the sunrises thing!

Anyways, I'm not sure if I will really have a lot to update yet, but I feel like it will be interesting to look back and be able to read through my experience leading up to going abroad. I'll keep this going while I'm there, too, so that my lovely family can read up on all my adventures and be assured that I haven't been eaten by a giant Spanish plant or something. Heck, maybe I'll make some of my entries in Spanish and make you translate it!!

Here's your first taste: Hasta luego! :]

No comments:

Post a Comment